James Otto's : "Just Got Started Lovin' You," (one of my favorite songs), began playing in my head as soon as I read the results of a national survey conducted by Harris Interactive, and conducted by SCA (Tork Green Business Survey), released today.
Key findings are:
- More than four in 10 U.S. adults (42%) believe green products and services are just getting started.
- More than two-thirds (69%) of American adults purchase green products or services. Among them, 48% make these purchases because they are better for the environment.
- Most U.S. adults (82%) are knowledgeable about which companies and brands have a strong history of sustainability.
- One third (32%) believe that it is now the norm and a required expectation.
- Three quarters of U.S. adults (73%) can determine if a green claim is true.
"As sustainability has continued to evolve to become more a part of everyday life, customers are taking the time to educate themselves on the range of practices and products that are available," said Joshua Radoff, a sustainability expert and member of the Tork Green Hygiene Council.
“However, with the range of claims vying for consumers’ attention, green certifications have gained an increased importance because they are a transparent and unbiased source and can help guide customers towards efforts that are genuine and authentic.”
Clearly, green is growing—welcome news to ecosavvy manufacturers.